Saturday, October 8, 2016

Geologic Columns - What do they tell us?

At a Glance (see videos below):

1: Watch 4 video clips:
Watch 5 minutes of video 1 
Watch 11 minutes of video 2
Watch 11 minutes of video 3
Watch 12 minutes of video 4
 Total: 39 minutes

2. Further Study anything that was interesting to you from the videos (see ideas below)

3. Comment below with questions, thoughts or insights

--------------------------------------------------
This week's assignments - Geologic Columns:

I hope you found the findings of soft tissue and Carbon-14 in dinosaur bones interesting.  Like some of you said, it doesn't hurt to examine our assumptions once in a while. I found it interesting that no one thought to question the age of the bones since the age is so ingrained into our beliefs.

Why is it ingrained? Several reasons. The geologic time scale is one of them. Here is what most of us have learned about Geologic Time. See if you can pick out the assumptions before reading on.

Watch from 1:15-6:25
Video 1


We'll talk about glaciers and fossils later, but for now, let's focus on the geologic column. The video sites the principle of superposition, which, as you will see below, has been falsified.
One assumption they make is that the same thing that is causing weathering now is what caused weathering always.

But if there was something that happened to the earth in the past that is not occurring right now (such as a world-wide flood). Then that assumption would be wrong. Things that presumably take millions of years to form could form very, very quickly if the earth was flooded with water at one point. Is there evidence of a world wide flood?

The more I read and watch, the more I find that the evidence is overwhelming. Here is a snippet:

Watch from 16:07 - 27:25
Video 2:

Watch from 0:50-11:30
Video 3: 


Watch from 2:30-14:47:
Video 4:


2. Further Study Ideas:
Grand Canyon
Tapeats Sandstone
Shinumo Quartzite in Green Shale
Austin Chalk, Dr. Erik Ager - cretaceous seas
Mount Everest Fossil Clams
Lyell

3. Comment below with questions, thoughts or insights.

8 comments:

  1. Haha! I love how a lot of these videos just completely invalidate a lot of the things scientists have said against the Bible! I don't really have many conclusions from this one (I wish I was a scientist and could come up with really smart answers), but, one thing I was thinking about was how much evidence the Lord gives us! I don't even know how we can doubt it. It's incredible this whole world He's come up with, we can just look around at everything and see His hand! How can we just blatantly disregard it? He's given us nature as a witness, there are many people who have seen visions and such--that's another witness! He's probably so upset when we try to invalidate it all....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Grace said I also love where he goes to the bible. It is really interesting how people have said it was a little flood from the black sea, I have never heard of that before. I think it's a reminder that God is the creator and he rules over the and all the work he's done to show us it's all real.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the whole flood idea is really interesting. I like when he talked about the layers being brought in with tides because that makes a lot of sense. Also liked when he talked about the fossils and how they would layer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just realized that it's interesting that as imperfect humans, we can never come up with a theory or idea that is perfect. But when we bring God into the picture who is perfect and who has a perfectly eternal perspective, we can come closer to the truth. I just read the scripture that says “I do not boast in my own strength, nor in my own wisdom; but behold, my joy is full, yea, my heart is brim with joy, and I will rejoice in my God." As humans, we know pretty much nothing on our own, but when we bring God into the picture our eyes can be opened.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's cool to see so much evidence of the actual global flood--people do this a lot, they discredit miracles in the Bible as being symbolic or mythical. But these things actually happened. The parting of the Red Sea for example, it's crazy to think about how that actually happened. And we're probably not going to know that in this life, but we can know that it happened, and the Spirit can testify of that. Once again, God's ways are so above our ways. His mind is so above ours, He is our Creator! How can we doubt Him? How can we doubt that He can do anything and that He knows all? We are so imperfect, but God is so perfect and good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In video 4 he talks about how the rocks have been given a specific time period. It doesn't make sense how you can have a rock that is dated 100 million years old when you have a rock that is 1 Billion years old.
    The evidence of the flood is written in scripture, it's on land and most important to know, on TOP of Mount Everest. How can you say that there wasn't a flood that caused this? The evidence is all around us. How can you get UNDERWATER creatures on top of Mount Everest? The only way I can think of is either 1. they somehow get legs and walked up them selfs. or 2. the flood.
    I know that everything that has ever happened and that ever will happen will be because God wanted it to happen. He is the one that has the reasons for all of it.
    I know that because of him, I am here today. Because of him and his son Jesus Christ we have this earth to live on, and I know that everything happens in his will, not ours, his.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these comments and hearing your testimony as you share them. Part of why I wanted you guys to see these was because there is so much evidence for a go8bal flood. When you are in your science classes, they will show all sorts of evidence that things evolved. I want you to notice that much of the evidence is the same - the fossils, the rock layers, the genome - bit that the interpretation is so different depending on what you assume as you interpret it. So many people think that science counters religion when in fact it can strengthen it if you are looking at things with the right perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with what Gracious sad about God giving us evidence that he is really there. I mean look at all the evidence that this one guy was able to show to everyone. Personally I'd like to see some scientists try to disprove what is staring them right in the face.

    ReplyDelete